Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Thrice is Nice

1. I am always the optimist when it comes to the Reds and I will always explain out why everything is not an issue, but even I am wondering if we should began to worry a little bit? Naturally, I could say that over the last two games the pitching staff has given up 3 runs in 20 innings, but at the same time the Reds have scored 1. This offense needs a shot in the arm, but I'm not sure where they are going to get it. Personally, I am not sold on Ryan Ludwick coming back and making a huge impact but I also thought Austin Kearns would end up being an All-Star. Hopefully I am wrong. The biggest problem is that the Reds, if they make the post season, will have to face the top of rotations and I am just not sure that they can handle that right now. On the bright side they remain 5 games back with 55 to play, which is certainly capable of overcoming but they need to get on a streak and they need to do it now.

2. How about Mike Leake and his ability to not lose ballgames. Leake went 7 shutout innings again last night and should have been rewarded with his 11th win on the season. At the beginning of the season we were all clamoring for Aroldis Chapman (How does Chris Denorfia own this guy?) to be the fifth starter and send Mike Leake to AAA. Can you imagine where this team would be if Mike Leake was not a starter? Dusty Baker takes a lot of blame on a lot of things, mostly that are not fault, and yet no one wants to give the guy credit for sticking by Leake and keeping him in the rotation. If at the beginning of the year I told you to name a Reds pitcher that will finish in the top 10 in Cy Young voting and you picked Leake, raise your hand. Now, put your hand back down because you are lying. The guy has had an incredible season to this point and does not appear to be stopping, now if only the Reds could start producing a few more runs for him.

3. I like young and fiery coaches because I think that they can get a little more out of their players and they excite the fans more often. Case in point, Rob Chudzinski, who at practice two days ago did not think that crowd at Browns training camp (all recording breaking 4,500 of them) was into the practice enough and that it was too quiet. The Browns were ending practice with an 11 on 11 Redzone drill with the first teamers pitted against each other. Before 4th down, Chud stopped the drill and walked over to the crowd and yelled to them that it's "Fourth down for the game" and began waving his arms up and down to entice the crowd to get all loud and rowdy as they could. I am not just saying this because I am a Browns fan, but rather because I have read articles and seen on the sidelines were coaches like Mike Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh act like they are a 27 year old linebacker celebrating with a player. My point in all of this? I do not really have an overlaying point beyond the fact that I think that a coach that is willing to get pumped up and show emotion will always be better for their players and more successful.


Programing Note: The top 50 "This is SportsCenter" commercials will be aired on Thursday at 8pm on ESPN. I highly suggest watching, and setting the DVR so you can watch again later. A sneak peak at my favorite "This is SportsCenter" commercial.


No comments:

Post a Comment