Friday, July 26, 2013

Thrice is Nice

Starting today I will post a daily "Thrice is Nice" column in which I discuss three of my main sports and non sports related thoughts for the day. I will still make other posts but each day at 3:00pm I will post the Thrice as  Nice daily column.

1. I am excited to see how the battle of the AFC North plays out this season (spoiler alert: Previews of each AFC North team are coming soon). There are four teams in this division that I believe are a lot closer in ability than people realize and I firmly believe that all four teams will end the season somewhere between 7-9 and 10-6. I can't help but think how much of a negative impact trading Anquan Boldin mixed with the losses of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed will have on the defending champs, while Pittsburgh is relying on rookie running backs, the loss of Mike Wallace, and battling age. Positive youth movements in Cincinnati and, to a lesser effect, in Cleveland create two more very competitive teams. As of today, my pick to win the AFC North plays their homes game on the banks of the Ohio River. (That kills me to say)

2. The Redlegs keep winning and proving that they can now go out to the West Coast and compete with teams three time zones away. From 2005-2010 the Reds went 16-35 against the likes of San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles, but this year the fortunes have certainly changed. The Reds needed to win on this road trip out West and done it to this point. Winning 3 out of 4 in San Francisco and the first in LA has continued to build the recent momentum for the Reds. Winners of 8 out of 10 and 9 out of 12, the Reds are showing how strong of a team they can really be. Oh, and they will soon get Ryan Ludwick, Sean Marshall, Ryan Hanigan, and Jonathon Broxton back. Watch out St. Louis and Pittsburgh, the Redlegs are coming for you.


3. I am a not a fan of these year long retirement celebrations that are taking over major league baseball. Last season we had to watch Chipper Jones, who is one of my least favorite players of all time, receive gift after gift from every team they played. Now this year its Mariano Rivera, who honestly is easier to watch get celebrated on a night basis, but it is outrageous that we have to celebrate a player who does not play for our team simply because they are retiring. They did not do this for Jr. Griffey or Fred McGriff or Pete Rose but we do it for Chipper Jones? I miss the days that players did not like each other and did not want to hug, laugh, and high five each other. Please stop giving away gifts to everyone that retires.

Have a great weekend everyone and remember once is good enough, twice is ok, but Thrice is Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment